Legs often get overlooked during workouts because exotic dancers and strippers believe that their dancing will take care of it for them. But this isn’t the case. To sculpt and tone your legs, or any muscle, you have to use it above and beyond your usual daily activities. Since dancing is part of your normal routine, you need to make sure you include your legs in your workouts to keep them looking as sexy as possible. Here is a list of the best and most effective exercises to get amazing legs:
The Step Up
This is arguably the best exercise for your entire leg, hips, and butt. It can be done in the comfort of your own home, using your stairs, a utility step stool, or a fancy exercise step. Just make sure the step you use is between 9 and 12 inches tall, and is heavy-duty to it can withstand your workout.
- Step 1. Start by standing on top of the stool, step, or second stair from the bottom of your staircase. Put your hands out to your side, straight out in front of you, or on your hips. If your on the stairs, it’s okay to hold onto the railing.
- Step 2. Lift your left foot and step down slowly until your toes and the ball of your foot touches the ground. Always keep your heel off the ground.
- Step 3. Then, slowly bring your left foot back up and lightly touch the step.
- Step 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 10 times with the left foot. Your right leg is doing most of the work, so you’ll feel it getting warm and then burning as you move through this exercise.
- Step 5. Rest for 10 seconds.
- Step 6. Repeat steps 2 – 5 using the right foot.
Your goal is to build up to 3 sets of 15 reps per leg, with a 10-15 second rest between sets.
This is another exercise that has staked it’s claim as the best exercise for legs. It works your hams, quads, calves, and glutes. You don’t need any special equipment for this exercise, though if you’re looking to make it more advanced you can let go of the chairs and hold some dumbbells or kettlebells.
- Step 1. Stand between 2 chairs, with the backs of the chairs closest to the sides of your body. Place your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Step 2. Keep your back straight, chest up, and abs tight as you bend your knees and slowly lower your bum towards the floor over a 10-second count. Pretend that you are going to sit in a chair. Make sure your knees are over your ankles, but don’t extend past them.
- Step 3. Hold this position for 2 seconds.
- Step 4. Over a count of 10 seconds, return to your starting position.
- Step 5. Repeat this 3 times without resting.
This simple exercise works all the major muscles in your legs and butt. It requires balance and concentration, which can help settle your busy mind before your shift at RI Dolls. The only tools you need for this exercise is a sturdy chair with a back that you can hold on to.
- Step 1. Place a chair on your left side with the back closest to you. Hold onto the chair with your left hand. Put the other hand on your hip or out to your side.
- Step 2. Step your left foot out in front of you, keeping your toes pointed forward. Keep your back straight, abs tight, and chest up while lowering your right knee down towards the floor as you count of 10. Make sure your front knee never goes beyond your ankle.
- Step 3. When your right knee is about 2 inches from the ground, hold the position for 2 seconds.
- Step 4. Slowly return to the starting position as you count to 10.
- Step 5. Repeat steps 2 – 4.
- Step 6. Do the same thing on your right side.
Your goal is to do a total of 4 reps on each side without resting.
Here’s another great leg exercise that doesn’t require any equipment, but you may want to use your yoga mat since it requires you to lay on the floor. Diagonal leg exercises work your quads, calves, hamstrings, as well as your abs, obliques, and bum.
- Step 1. Lay down on the floor, on your back. Bend your knees so your feet are flat on the floor. With your arms flat on the floor, keep your hands near your hips.
- Step 2. Lift your hips up and off the floor, then bring your left foot under your right thigh. Make sure your knee is pointing to the left.
- Step 3. With your hips still raised, bring your left knee out the to left to untuck your foot, then extend your leg diagonally up and to the left. Feel your leg muscles stretch and point your toes.
- Step 4. Tuck your left foot back under your right thigh. This completes 1 rep.
- Step 5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 19 more times, for a total of 20 reps.
- Step 6. Now do the same for your right leg, making sure you do 20 reps.
Your goal is to do 2 sets of 20 reps on each leg.